|THEN : William Gooderham, Sr., 1790 - 1881|
|THEN : The Worts and Gooderham windmill formed the basis of today's Distillery District.|
|THEN : George Gooderham, 1830 - 1905.|
|THEN : The Toronto, the first locomotive to operate in Ontario, was steam powered and travelled from Toronto to Aurora in the Spring of 1853.|
The first branch of the Bank of Toronto to be opened outside of Ontario was one that began operation in Montreal in 1860. As northern Ontario and the Prairie provinces became more developed in the 1880s and 1890s, the Bank of Toronto expanded a little more quickly. Like other banks, it was offering loans to manufacturers and those who were harvesting natural resources. The Bank of Toronto reached the west coast in 1899 when it opened a branch in the mining town of Rossland, British Columbia.
|THEN : A "branch" of the Bank of Toronto operates out of a tent near the Dome Mine in Timmins, in this photograph from 1913.|
|THEN : The very first branch of the Bank of Toronto was operated out of 78 Church Street from 1856 until 1862. The building is shown here in 1956.|
|THEN : The Bank of Toronto at the northwest corner of Wellington and Church streets is shown here in 1890.|
|NOW : What we have now, instead of the old Bank of Toronto building, is a stunning example of postmodern Toronto architecture ...|
Gooderham's office – now more commonly known as the Flatiron Building – still stands across the street, on the south side of Wellington Street. So, his office stood across the street from the bank with which he was so involved, and rumours abound of an underground tunnel that Gooderham could use to sneak across the street and get into the bank's vaults. According to some sources, anyway, the tunnel is still there, but access from the tavern that is now in the basement of Gooderham's office has been completely sealed off.
|THEN : The Bank of Toronto building at the northwest corner of Wellington and Church streets is shown here in 1870.|
As early as 1901, the Bank of Toronto began contemplating the construction of a new headquarters. The bank purchased a large plot of land at the southwest corner of King and Bay streets in 1902. With a frontage of 120 feet on King Street, and 134 feet on Bay Street, it was the largest parcel of land that had been bought up for redevelopment up until that point in the city's history. The lease on some of the buildings that stood at that corner did not expire until 1911, so actual construction of the new Bank of Toronto building did not begin until January of 1912.
|THEN : The elegance and grandeur of the Bourse de Paris would serve as inspiration for the Bank of Toronto's new headquarters at King and Bay streets.|
|THEN : The new Bank of Toronto headquarters were completed in 1913.|
|THEN : Topping off the 56-storey tower of the Toronto Dominion Centre, just prior to its completion in 1966.|
|THEN : $1 and $4 banknotes from the Bank of Toronto, dating from the 1856 to 1865 period.|
|THEN : $4 banknote from the Bank of Toronto, dated 1876. J.G. Worts is portrayed on the left, and William Gooderham is on the right.|
|THEN : Bank of Toronto banknotes from 1935 and 1937, looking like something out of the nineteenth century.|
|NOW : James Austin's estate of Spadina, as it looks today. Built in 1866 on the foundations of the Baldwin family estate, it now functions as a jewel in the crown of Toronto's museums.|
Find media coverage for the "Dressing for Downton" exhibit at Spadina here ...
... or visit here for official information!
|NOW : The Austin family vault at St. James' Cemetery.|
|THEN : An ad campaign for Victory Bonds from 1918. All major Canadian banks were expected to help finance the war effort by promoting investment in the Canadian government.|
|THEN : A photograph of the Dominion Bank building at 1 King Street West circa 1879, the year it was opened.|
|THEN : The Beard Building, on the southeast corner, King and Jarvis streets, 1894 to 1935, stood seven storeys.|
|THEN : The Temple Building, on the northwest corner of Richmond and Bay streets, 1896 to 1970, stood twelve storeys.|
|THEN : The Dominion Bank building in 1903, looking diagonally across the street, from the northeast corner of King and Yonge streets, towards the bank at the southwest corner.|
That record would seen be toppled, of course, and the ever growing success of the Dominion Bank led to the construction of an even taller building. Work on the building began in March of 1913, and the result was a twelve storey Beaux-Arts skyscraper. When plans were unveiled for the new building, detractors claimed that such a tall building would ruin the city's skyline. However, the work of the architectural firm of Darling and Pearson silenced all the critics when the new Bank of Dominion building was completed in 1914.
Pearson and Darling would work on a great many number of Toronto landmarks from the early 20th century, including Flavelle House (now a part of the University of Toronto's Faculty of Law), Convocation Hall and the Sanford Fleming Building (both also located at the University of Toronto), wings of both the Royal Ontario Museum and the Art Gallery of Ontario, and the Bank of Commerce building, which still stands at King and Jordan streets, and is a neighbour of the Dominion Bank building. The architectural firm's work on the Dominion Bank building was acclaimed as an attractive addition to Toronto's blossoming financial district.
|NOW : The (former) Dominion Bank building at 1 King Street West, as it appears today.|
|THEN : This photograph from 1914 shows the vault of the Dominion Bank being transported to the new bank headquarters at Yonge and King streets.|
|NOW : The marble staircase that leads down from the refurbished main floor of the bank, downstairs to the Safety Deposit Vaults.|
|NOW : The massive vault in the basement as it appears today.|
With the merger of the Dominion Bank with the Bank of Toronto in 1955, many of the corporate functions of the new Toronto-Dominion Bank were moved to what had been the Bank of Toronto headquarters, just down the street at the southwest corner of King and Bay streets. A branch of the bank did continue to occupy the building at King and Yonge streets into the 1990s. Ownership changed in 1999, when the old Dominion Bank Building at 1 King Street West was bought up to form the nucleus of a new hotel and condominium complex. By 2006, the adjacent glass and steel tower, nicknamed “the Sliver”, was completed and the complex – commonly referred to as the 1 King West Hotel - opened for business.
|NOW : The Dominion Bank building and "the Sliver" at 1 King Street West.|
|THEN : Banknotes issued from the Dominion Bank between 1876 and 1881. Generally speaking, the Dominion Bank issued banknotes that were more elaborate and vibrant than those of the Bank of Toronto.|
|THEN : Signatures on the banknotes from the Dominion Bank at the end of the nineteenth century began to reflect a change in bank management, when Albert William Austin took over after his father's death in 1897.|
In 1931, the Dominion Bank issued a banknote series in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. The various denominations show a uniform type of design. A portrait of Albert William Austin appears on the banknotes, along with one of Clarence A. Bogert. Austin was the president of the bank from 1925 until 1933, and Bogert was president from 1933 until 1934. $5 bills were the most commonly printed, with one million of them going into circulation. 600,000 of the $10 bills were printed, 46,000 of the $20 bills were printed, 8,800 of the $50 bills were printed, and only 6,800 of the $100 bills were printed. This gives you an idea as to the relative scarcity of each of them, and a sense of the corresponding numismatic value.
|THEN : The 1931 series of banknotes from the Dominion Bank, featuring the portraits of Albert Austin (left) and Clarence Bogert.|
|THEN : The $5 and $10 banknotes issued by the Dominion Bank in 1938, featuring Clifton Carlisle and Dudley Dawson.|
|THEN : The 1938 $5 and $10 banknotes featuring Robert Rae and Clifton Carlisle.|